Mortgage Loan Consultant
At Community Bank System, Inc. (CBSI), we are dedicated to providing our customers with friendly, personalized, high-quality financial services and products. Our retail division, Community Bank, N.A., operates more than 230 customer facilities across Upstate New York, Northeastern Pennsylvania, Vermont and Western Massachusetts. Beyond retail banking, we also offer wealth management, investment management, insurance and risk management, and benefit plan administration.
Just as our employees are committed to helping our customers manage their finances, we’re committed to our employees. After all, they make it happen for our customers every day.
To ensure our people can enjoy long and successful careers here at CBSI, we offer competitive compensation, great benefits, and professional development and advancement opportunities. As an equal-opportunity workplace and affirmative-action employer, we celebrate and support a diverse workplace for the benefit of all: our employees, customers and communities.
As a member of the Retail Banking Team, the Mortgage Consultant originates mortgage loans to meet individual and department production goals. Loans must be originated in accordance with bank policies and investor and regulatory guidelines, with an emphasis on delivering superior customer service. The Mortgage Consultant is responsible for establishing and maintaining strong professional ties to area business generators by executing a sales call program to service realtors and other referral sources to develop new mortgage business.
- Solicit quality loans that meet the criteria of current product offering
- Inform customers of the institution's loan programs, underwriting guidelines and applicable government regulations.
- Schedule appointments to fit the needs of the customer whether on company premises or at a mutually convenient location. Coordinate such appointments with associates.
- Personally interview all applicants to collect and analyze pertinent information regarding income, assets, debts and credit data. Determine which products best meet the needs and financial circumstances of the potential borrower, and advise them regarding the features and benefits of different loan programs.
- Complete each loan application and all pre-processing functions in a timely manner to permit disclosures to be provided within required regulatory timeframes. Gather and submit with each application the documentation necessary to render a loan decision by bank underwriter.
- Cross-sell company products and services by referring customers to the appropriate individual or department to include: deposit accounts, trust services, business banking, consumer lending, insurance and personal financial services, and any other product or service offered by the company to promote a complete banking relationship.
- Communicate complex approvals, denials and counter-offers to the applicant and other parties as appropriate, maintaining strict confidentiality of critical customer financial information.
- Develop new loan business by continuously marketing to former satisfied customers, real estate agents, home builders, attorneys, accountants, financial planners and other potential referral sources.
- Represent the bank in local business and community organizations and events to develop additional business. May present seminars to general public and real estate community for community outreach and to promote additional business.
- Develop and maintain current competitive market information. Keep informed of trends and developments in the local market, as well as changing rules and regulations pertaining to the mortgage industry.
- Actively participate in ongoing training and education as directed by Manager.
- Stay abreast of, and participate in, community outreach programs within the MLC's designated territory to ensure the bank remains a partner to groups of low to moderate income (LMI) and those in a protected class.
- Ensure exceptional customer service, both internal and external by maintaining thorough knowledge of lending programs, policies, procedures and regulatory requirements, demonstrating a commitment to professional ethics and complying with all Federal and State compliance policies.
- Comply with established operating policies and procedures in order to maintain adequate controls and to support the Bank's adherence to outside regulatory requirements.
- Maintain overall responsibility for the loan file and documentation through processing, underwriting, closing, and post-closing by following the transaction through to its conclusion.
- Act as the customer's point of contact and information source from the application through booking process.
- Respond to inquiries relating to mortgage lending, or to requests from other Bank personnel, customers, etc.
- Complete annual training requirements pertaining to Federal and State laws/regulations on or before due dates and attend in-house training pertaining to sales, service, and technology throughout the year.
- Maintain proficient knowledge of, and demonstrate ongoing compliance with all laws and regulations applicable to this position, ensure ongoing adherence to pertinent policies, procedures, and internal controls, and meet all job-specific training requirements in a timely fashion.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or directed.
- Candidates being considered for this position will be subject to additional background checks as required by regulations. Employees in this job must register and comply with all rules and regulations of The Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 (The SAFE Act). Employees hired or transferring into this position will need to meet the qualification requirements, in Community Bank's sole discretion, under Reg. Z, prior to acting as a loan originator in a consumer credit transaction secured by a dwelling. Qualification requirements include but are not limited to an assessment of overall financial responsibility, character, and general fitness through review of a criminal background check, and credit report.
- An Associate's degree or equivalent preferred
- Specialized Banking and lending education and training
- Sales training
- Proficient reading, writing, grammar, and mathematics skills.
- PC knowledge, proficient interpersonal relations, communicative and sales skills.
- A working knowledge of Bank operating policies and procedures which impact consumer services.
- A thorough knowledge of the features and benefits of all the Bank's mortgage/home equity products and services.
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years' experience in real estate lending (including 2 years of experience in a related sales position) required.
Other Job Information
Hours: 40 hours/week
Location: 9122 Towne Center Pkwy, Bradenton, FL 34202
Compensation: Commensurate with experience plus potential for annual merit increase. In addition to your competitive salary, you will be rewarded benefits including: 11 paid holidays, paid vacation, Medical, Vision & Dental insurance, 401K with generous match, Pension, Tuition Reimbursement, Banking discounts and the list goes on!
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand, walk or sit. Use hands and fingers, handle or feel, reach with hands or arms, and speak and hear. The employee may occasionally be required to lift and or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and the ability to focus.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Your application has been successfully submitted.